RE: [users@httpd] adding SSL - is a distinct virtual host mandatory?

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Andrew Clarke [mailto:aclarke@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
>
> As I mentioned on my last reply, I'm hoping that http://myserver and
> https://myserver both work; the first on :80 and the 2nd on
> :443. Am I
> expecting too much? Is this unpossible?

This is fine. The use of "https" in the address signals the browser to use port 443 so the two sites are distinct at the TCP/IP layer. What you then need in your config is:

Listen 80
Listen 443

<VH *:80>
  DocumentRoot <path-to-http-site>
</VH>

<VH *:443>
  DocumentRoot <path-to-https-site> (can be the same path as http)
  SSLCert etc..
</VH>

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> I've just started on the Virtual Hosts section of the
> supplied /manual for
> Apache, but alas it's not immediately clear in my head what
> the options
> are.
>
> > PS - did you install mod_ssl?
>
> Yes; it's in, and the worse message I've received so far in
> error_log is
>
> [warn] Init: Session Cache is not configured [hint: SSLSessionCache]
>
> --
> Corporate Signatures Suck
>
> --
> This email is from Civica Pty Limited and it, together with any
> attachments, is confidential to the intended recipient(s) and
> the
> contents may be legally privileged or contain proprietary and
> private information. It is intended solely for the person to
> whom
> it is addressed. If you are not an intended recipient, you may
> not
> review, copy or distribute this email. If received in error,
> please
> notify the sender and delete the message from your system
> immediately. Any views or opinions expressed in this email and
> any
> files transmitted with it are those of the author only and may
> not
> necessarily reflect the views of Civica and do not create any
> legally binding rights or obligations whatsoever. Unless
> otherwise
> pre-agreed by exchange of hard copy documents signed by duly
> authorised representatives, contracts may not be concluded on
> behalf of Civica by email. Please note that neither Civica nor
> the
> sender accepts any responsibility for any viruses and it is your
> responsibility to scan the email and the attachments (if any).
> All
> email received and sent by Civica may be monitored to protect
> the
> business interests of Civica.

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them to be the views of the sender's company.