Re: [users@httpd] adding SSL - is a distinct virtual host mandatory?

On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 16:07, Axel-Stéphane SMORGRAV wrote:
> If you are planning on serving both SSL and non-SSL connections, then
> yes, a separate virtual host is necessary for one of the two.
>
> The fact is that the SSLEngine directive is only valid in a server or
> virtual host context. I do not know the reason for that, but I am sure
> there is one.
>
> The most important things you need to configure are "SSLEngine On",
>
> These are the overall settings I use for SSL. Replace everything enclosed
> in %% by actual values.

Thanks - I downloaded someones .conf from an earlier message, hacked the
pieces into my .conf without using a virtual host, and it ain't working.

I'm new to virtual hosts; are they required to have different names, as seen
from browsers? Ideally I'd like http://myserver and https://myserver to be
valid and interchangable.

On the other hand, I guess there are some pages that I would insist are
accessed only with https so that implies I need to be able to control the
access at least on a Directory basis, if not by hostname. Am I on the right
track here?

This email is from Civica Pty Limited and it, together with any
attachments, is confidential to the intended recipient(s) and the
contents may be legally privileged or contain proprietary and
private information. It is intended solely for the person to whom
it is addressed. If you are not an intended recipient, you may
not
review, copy or distribute this email. If received in error,
please
notify the sender and delete the message from your system
immediately. Any views or opinions expressed in this email and
any
files transmitted with it are those of the author only and may
not
necessarily reflect the views of Civica and do not create any
legally binding rights or obligations whatsoever. Unless
otherwise
pre-agreed by exchange of hard copy documents signed by duly
authorised representatives, contracts may not be concluded on
behalf of Civica by email. Please note that neither Civica nor
the
sender accepts any responsibility for any viruses and it is your
responsibility to scan the email and the attachments (if any).
All
email received and sent by Civica may be monitored to protect the
business interests of Civica.