RE: [users@httpd] adding SSL - is a distinct virtual host mandatory?

If you are planning on serving both SSL and non-SSL connections, then yes, a separate virtual host is necessary for one of the two.

The fact is that the SSLEngine directive is only valid in a server or virtual host context. I do not know the reason for that, but I am sure there is one.

The most important things you need to configure are "SSLEngine On",

These are the overall settings I use for SSL. Replace everything enclosed in %% by actual values.

#
SSLSessionCache         shm:%%SERVER_ROOT%%/logs/ssl_scache
SSLSessionCacheTimeout  300

## On Solaris, I use pthread. I think it works on SuSE as well.
SSLMutex pthread

## Your system may not have /dev/random. In that case you may just use builtin for startup.
SSLRandomSeed startup file:/dev/random 1024
SSLRandomSeed connect builtin

SSLProtocol All -SSLv2
SSLCipherSuite ALL:!ADH:!EXP:!aNULL:!eNULL:!LOW:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM
SSLVerifyDepth 3

<Files ~ "\.(cgi|shtml|phtml|php3?)$">
    SSLOptions +StdEnvVars
</Files>

SSLCACertificatePath %%X509_ROOT%%/ssl.crt

<Directory "%%SERVER_ROOT%%/cgi-bin">
     SSLOptions  +ExportCertData +StdEnvVars
</Directory>

For the virtual host itself, I generally use the follwing template:

Listen %%HTTP_ADDR%%:%%HTTPS_PORT%%

<VirtualHost %%HTTP_ADDR%%:%%HTTPS_PORT%%>
    ServerName %%PUBLIC_NAME%%:%%HTTPS_PORT%%

    SSLCertificateFile %%X509_ROOT%%/ssl.crt/%%PUBLIC_NAME%%.crt
    SSLCertificateKeyFile %%X509_ROOT%%/ssl.key/%%PUBLIC_NAME%%.key
    SSLEngine on

    DocumentRoot %%SERVER_ROOT%%/htdocs

    ErrorLog %%SERVER_LOGS%%/reverse_error_log
    CustomLog %%SERVER_LOGS%%/reverse_access_log combined env=!dontlog

    ## Add whatever you need here

</VirtualHost>

You can then specify the parameters for the non-SSL connections at server level. What you need is a Listen directives, some log specifications...

-ascs