Re: [users@httpd] httpd won't start

webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Jessica Rasku wrote:

It really doesn't matter which way you do it, there are reasons for creating symlinks (when two programs are looking for the same data in two different places is the ideal time for a symlink rather than duplicating the data, another option would be to get one of the programs to look in the place that the other program is looking). I would probably put the actuall dirrectory in myself, rather than creating a symlink.

I just tried putting in the actual directory with one of the sites and it still did not come up. I even restarted using ./apachectl, but when I did I got this warning:

[warn] NameVirtualHost 216.107.115.123:0 has no VirtualHosts

Your virtual host directive should look something like

<VirtualHost *:80>

or something like that, I see that you are using :0, which I'm pretty sure is not a valid port number, and your server is probably not running on port 0, but rather 80 (unless you have changed this). What would remove the warning would be to have a virtual host setup like:

<VirtualHost 216.107.115.123:0>
	ServerName thename.tld
	ServerAlias *.thename.tld
	ServerRoot /var/www/thename/
</VirtualHost>

For my NameVirtualHost I have:

NameVirtualHost *:80

And as a sample Virtual host I have:

<VirtualHost *:80>
        DocumentRoot /var/www/gender/html
        ServerAdmin jrasku@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        ServerName genderoutlaws.com
        ServerAlias *.genderoutlaws.com
        DirectoryIndex index.php index.html index.htm index.shtml
        ServerSignature email
        CustomLog logs/gender/access_log combined
</VirtualHost>

The *:80 for the NameVirtualHost means that it looks at port 80 on all IP addresses for name based virtual hosts. This is the default behaviour when you are using name based virtual hosts. This directive is by default commented out because many servers do not use any virtual hosting.

I hope that help.

							Jessica