Re: [users@httpd] problem with proxy balancer-manager

On Sep 22, 2005, at 2:57 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

Colin Murtaugh wrote:

<Proxy balancer://mycluster>
     BalancerMember http://servera.domain.com/proxytest retry=10
loadfactor=1
     BalancerMember http://serverb.domain.com/proxytest retry=10
loadfactor=1
</Proxy>

ProxyPass /proxytest balancer://mycluster lbmethod=byrequests

<Location /balancer-manager>
     SetHandler balancer-manager
</Location>

The proxy seems to work -- requests are sent to servera and serverb
-- but the balancer-interface doesn't work right.   I see the 'Load
balancer status' section, and if I click on either of the hostnames
of the cluster members, I see the 'Edit balancer settings' section,
but I don't see the 'Edit worker settings' section.  So, I can't
enable/disable cluster members via the interface.  The documentation
for mod_proxy (under Apache 2.1) indicates that this should be possible.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?

To edit the workers, you must click their links under the
main section. You should see them under the Host table header.
--

Ok - so I've played with the configuration a bit more, and I discovered that if my BalancerMember directives have either a port number or a path, the BalancerManager doesn't work properly.  Clicking on the hostname of a worker brings up the 'Edit balancer settings' instead of the 'Edit worker settings' form.

E.g., this won't work:

<Proxy balancer://mycluster>
    BalancerMember http://my.server.com:8080
    BalancerMember http://other.server.com:8080
</Proxy>

and this won't work:

<Proxy balancer://mycluster>
    BalancerMember http://my.server.com/myapp
    BalancerMember http://other.server.com/myapp
</Proxy>

but this will work:

<Proxy balancer://mycluster>
    BalancerMember http://my.server.com
    BalancerMember http://other.server.com
</Proxy>

Note that the two top examples do _proxy_ correctly, it's just the BalancerManager interface that doesn't work right.

--Colin