To: <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2005 4:59 PM
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] "Out of memory" logging format

On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 10:20 -0400, Joshua Slive wrote:
On 8/26/05, Udo Rader <udo.rader@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Yet of course I would like to know the exact time and circumstances > when
> such a situtation occurs. When reaching the memory limit, apache
> produces log entries like this:
>
> -----------CUT-----------
> [...]
> ^GOut of memory (Needed 8164 bytes)
> ^GOut of memory (Needed 8164 bytes)
> ^GOut of memory (Needed 8164 bytes)
> ^GOut of memory (Needed 8164 bytes)
> ^GOut of memory (Needed 8164 bytes)
> FATAL:  erealloc():  Unable to allocate 76 bytes
> -----------CUT-----------
>
> Now what I would like to have is a more informative logging message,
> such as which URL caused the error.
>
> Is that possible?

In general, no.  Apache considers out of memory to be an unrecoverable
error, and therefore doesn't try to protect against it in many
different code paths.

On the other hand, there is a new module called mod_log_forensice
included with apache that may help.  It can be used to find requests
that were received but where no response was sent.  These would
probably match up with your out-of-memory crashes.

Joshua.

thanks, this looks very promising.

Udo Rader

--