Re: [users@httpd] mod_cache and conditional disabling

On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 04:03:53PM +1000, Steve McInerney wrote:
> As part of implementing a short term performance improvement, we're
> looking at using a caching reverse proxy.
>
> In essence we need to be able to disable mod_cache on a reverse proxy
> configuration for certain classes of users only.
>
> Users are able to be identified via Cookie and hence we can get an Env set
> for that identification. But I can't figure out a way to disable the
> caching based on this information.

Currently there is no easy way to achieve this within the proxy
configuration, however it is being worked on.

An approach might be to modify the backend, so that responses for these
users are rendered uncacheable. A full guide to the conditions which
determine cacheability is at;

	http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.1/caching.html#overview

Forcing the backend to include a "Vary: *" header for such responses
would give the desired behaviour for example.

--
Colm MacCárthaigh                        Public Key: colm+pgp@xxxxxxxxxx