From: Neil Freeman [mailto:neil.freeman@xxxxxxxxx] Sent: 15 August 2005 12:04
To: Apache Users
Subject: [users@httpd] Redirect Port 80 requests to Port 8080 on second
server

Hi there,

I have a RedHat linux box with two Apache server setups up and running (an Apache 1.x server and an Apache 2.x server). The Apache 1.x server is set up to listen on Port 80 and the Apache 2.x server set up to listen on port 8080.

What I would like is to have the URL 'http://original-url.blinky' accepted by the 1.x server (as the original request will be on Port 80) and then have it passed over to the 2.x server for handling (so that I can test out the site using my new server configuration).

Server 1 configuration:
Apache/1.3.20 (Unix) PHP/4.0.5 Server at blinky Port 80

   -- Server 1 (httpd.conf) ---------------------------
   Listen 80
   Port 80
   ServerName blinky

   NameVirtualHost 192.168.1.158

   <VirtualHost 192.168.1.158>
	  ServerName original-url.blinky
	  ProxyPass / http://localhost:8080/
   </VirtualHost>

Server 2 configuration:
Apache/2.0.48 (Unix) PHP/4.3.4 Server at blinky Port 8080

   -- Server 2 (httpd.conf) ---------------------------
   Listen 8080
   ServerName blinky

   NameVirtualHost 192.168.1.158

   <VirtualHost 192.168.1.158>
	  DocumentRoot /onboard_it/test-website
	  ServerName original-url.blinky
   </VirtualHost>
   <Directory "/onboard_it/test-website">
	  AllowOverride All
   </Directory>

Currently, when I enter the URL 'http://original-url.blinky' it gets accepted by the 1.x server and passed over to the 2.x server, which is good, but the page I am presented with is the default 'htdocs' page on the 2.x server, not the specified DocumentRoot /onboard_it/test-website

Does anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong? Is this the suggested method for getting a second server to handle requests on another port?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Neil

This communication is confidential to the intended recipient(s).
If you are not that person you are not permitted to make use of
the information and you are requested to notify the sender
immediately of its receipt and then destroy the copy in your
posession.  Any views or opinions expressed are those of
the originator and may not represent those of Advanced
System Architectures Ltd.