Re: [users@httpd] Rewrite and https

On 8/4/05, Axel-Stéphane  SMORGRAV
<Axel-Stephane.SMORGRAV@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> One thought at first: Couldn't your Weblogic server return a relative URL rather than an absolute one, i.e. a URL not containing protocol and server address ? Then this problem would not occur at all...

The problem is not only returning proper URLs but telling the weblogic
server that a request came in over https.

> OK. You probably have one virtual host handling the SSL traffic, the one with "SSLEngine On", right? You know that all requests handled by that virtual host is HTTPS, right? So you do not need the condition (RewriteCond). Why don't you just do either
>
> Header set protocol https
>
> or, if you absolutely want to use rewrite rules
>
> RewriteRule ^(/[Pp]ortal.*)     $1?protocol=https       [QSA]
>
> I think that you will have to use different Java methods to retrieve the header in the two above cases.

I am not the one that decides which java method will be used, and the
powers that do decide about this have allready decided that they whant
the argument "protocol=https"  added... So I have no option but to add
it...

An extra problem I have is that I have about a hundred rewrite rules,
and the order they are porcessed in is important. I don't know how to
add a rule to the  SSL virtual host, and maintain the processing order
I want. And I also don't want to maintain two complete sets of
rules...

I have now found out why it wouldn't work though. This is a bug in the
mod_rewrite shipped with apache 2.0. It definitely exists in 2.0.50,
but has aparently been fixed now. I'll upgrade when possible. In the
mean time the folowing workaround worked for me:

 # If Portal is accessed over https add a query parameter so the portal knows.
        RewriteCond     %{LA-U:ENV:HTTPS}        on
        RewriteRule ^/([Pp]ortal.*)     $1?protocol=https       [QSA]

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@xxxxxxxxx
Solothurn, Switzerland