[users@httpd] Apache 1.39: Automatically logging some users in: .htaccess: what to put in a cookie?

Hi;

My company is using Apache 1.39 on red hat.

They have a .htaccess file set up so that if anyone wants to see a set
of  files in a directory, that user must log in.

I would like to make an exception to this rule if the user is already
logged into a JSP application we have.  If the user is logged into this
application, that application can navigate to that directory, with no
login/password prompt coming up.

I thought I would make a special account for this JSP application in
the infouser and .htaccess files.  Then, I would have the JSP
application create a cookie to automatically log itself into to that
directory.

The only thing I don't know at this point is what to write in the
cookie.

I have poked around in the docs and haven't found what I needed.

If anyone knows how to do this, or if they can point me to some docs
that will give the information I would be much obliged.

Thanks much in advance

Steve

Steve
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/

"The internet may be a good substitute for television, but is it a good substitute for what television replaced?"