[users@httpd] Questions about reverse proxy with https

Hi list.
I'm in the process of building a reverse proxy architecture based on Apache with mod_proxy, in order to publish on the Internet an internal website now residing only on our Intranet. The site is quite critical, so it's required that it must be available externally only in https. So far so good. Now some people in our management are requiring that also the communication between the reverse proxy and the internal site must be encrypted, and this is raising some doubts to me as I have never worked with such a configuration.
Please anybody can help me with any hint?
First of all, is it possible at all to implement this with mod_proxy?
If so, is there any documentation about it?
Any thoughts about the matter?

Thanks, Carlo