Re: [users@httpd] How to close connection instead of sending 403?

Hello,

Perhaps a rather funny solution but... I know that you can define specific pages for error codes, in apache. I won't write any directive but how about you define /dev/null as the page displayed when a user hits a 403 url ? there will still be an open door to a DOS, but there will be a reduction of bandwith. Or simpler, you define a page with no text in it...

Might sounds scratchy, but...

dtufs wrote:

--- Boyle Owen <Owen.Boyle@xxxxxxx> wrote:

It's a constant struggle to keep ahead of them. We use a variety of strategies (honeytraps, user agent,
cookies, behavioural heuristics).

Although these methods sounds cool (and we use them
too, as I wrote) they still waste the bandwidth (on
sending 403-responses). And bandwidth is rather
expensive with high-quality hosting providers (that's
why I asked for a better method to deal with this
issue).
If current (often outdated) standards do not allow us
to solve everyday issues, then they must be changed
(not adored or worshipped).

____________________________________________________ Yahoo! Sports Rekindle the Rivalries. Sign up for Fantasy Football http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com

Jean-Christophe Montigny
Responsable Commission Web, Association Planètes
Responsable serveurs assoces.com, Association Planètes
Etudiant de deuxième année à Grenoble Ecole de Management
Majeure Conseil en Organisation des Systèmes d'Information
begin:vcard
fn:Jean-Christophe Montigny
n:Montigny;Jean-Christophe
org;quoted-printable:Association Pl@n=C3=A8tes
adr;quoted-printable:;;12, rue Pierre S=C3=A9mard;Grenoble;FR;38000;France
email;internet:jcm@xxxxxxxxxxx
title:Responsable Com Web
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://planetes.assoces.com/