[users@httpd] Strategies for debugging a segmentation fault on a production ser ver

Hi there,

I am looking for some advice on how to go about debugging Apache 1.3.33 / PHP 5.0.4 on a production Linux box (RHE 3).  The scenario is this:  Once a day we find a segfault in our apache logs.  From our current position, we don't know what page was accessed, and our 400+ users haven't brought the issue to our attention.  All we know is the date/time and PID of when the segfault occurred.  The question is this:  how can we go about isolating the offending requested page that bombs?

I've set up a custom apache log file that populates each entry with the PID that handled it.  However, when we do see a segfault, this  log file does not appear to be populated with an entry that corresponds (within a 5 - 10 second period) to the PID that bombs.  I'm guessing that the log file is only written to after a request is delivered?

Otherwise, looking at the PHP bugs page, it recommends rebuilding PHP with -enable-debug and running Apache with -X in order to get a core dump.  Running apache with debug mode on is not an option on our production box.  Is running apache -X mandatory to get a core dump?

Any other strategies that you can recommend that would help us isolate the offending page so we can get to the good work of reproducing and fixing the problem at hand?

Thanks!

Michael

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This message contains confidential information intended only for the use of
the individual or entity named as recipient. Any dissemination, distribution
or copying of this communication by anyone other than the intended recipient
immediately notify us and delete your copy. Thank you.

AVIS DE CONFIDENTIALITÉ
Les informations contenues aux présentes sont de nature privilégiée et
confidentielle. Elles ne peuvent être utilisées que par la personne ou
l'entité dont le nom paraît comme destinataire. Si le lecteur du présent
message n'est pas le destinataire prévu, il est par les présentes prié de
noter qu'il est strictement interdit de divulguer, de distribuer ou de
copier ce message. Si ce message vous a été transmis par mégarde, veuillez
nous en aviser immédiatement et supprimer votre copie. Merci.