[users@httpd] reverse proxy with 2 level basic authentication

I have inherited a probject where I am trying to configure Apache2 to be a reverse proxy to an Exchange Server with Outlook Web Access/Outlook Mobile Access. The security requirements dictate that there be 2 layers of authentication. First the use must authenticate to the proxy and then to the Exchange server. The proxy is using basic authentication and for normal web browsers this setup is working fine as the OWA is using Windows Forms Authentication.

The problem is that aparently the PDAs this organization is using don't have a browser that plays nice with Windows Forms so I was asked to configure the proxy to support another layer of basic authentication. However, I don't see how this is going to work. What I am seeing now is that the proxy is passing the crendentials for the first layer (itself) to the Excahnge server even though the browser does correctly prompt you for two different sets of credentials. I'd really appreciate it if someone could tell me if what I am trying to do is even possible of if I am wasting my time. Thanks in advance.

</rob>