Re: [users@httpd] Problems on Linux

Broming plutonium wrote:
I'm using Xandros Open Circulation 3. I don't think
you know what it is, so I decided to just call it
"Linux".

God I'm so stupid--I didn't even enable the features!
And I deleted my source directory, too. Too bad I
don't have time to read the documentation--I can
hardly find time to do what I have to do.

Oh, what if I want all the modules? It's a lot to ask
for, but I hate re-compiling it every time I want to
use a feature.

Anyways, I re-compiled Apache, this time following the
instructions in the documentation. It works,
especially my proxy server.

I want to make my proxy server public, so that
everybody could use it. Is that a good idea or a bad
idea? :)

Broming -

Depends on how you look at it. But quite honestly, are you prepared to administer a full-blow proxy server? It seemed a bit difficult to get all this up and running, and now you want to offer services?

Everyone has time to read documentation. Your initial question came through on May 31st, and in three days, you could have read the Apache 2.0 manual nine times over and remembered every last word. It's what we all do, and when using "Linux", the documentation almost always spells it out for us ;)

You can use the compile-time option of --enable-module=all, IIRC, to compile all the modules. This is probably not what you want to do. Rather, you can use ./configure --help, which will print out a list of modules that are currently available, which ones will be compiled in by default, and a list of which modules you can compile in addition to the defaults - or none of them period. You can also visit http://modules.apache.org for a complete list of known and submitted third-party modules. I find this resource quite useful.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'll always keep my complete source trees for a good 2-3 versions - just in case. Others might call this behavior a bit of OCD, but then again, they're the same people who write to the list asking what do you do if the source tree is deleted ;)

Hope that helps
-dant