Re: [users@httpd] Problems on Linux

FWIW, I dnloaded same version and compiled it per the installation docs, took the defaults, and installed under RH9 with all applicable patches. Proxy works, don't know about SSL - havent tried it.
John
When you say 'programs' I am not sure what you mean...apache is stand alone. Calls to FTP for example are passed via the os and the appropriate FTP daemon...Could you provide a copy of your compile string and logs? What version of Linux? Sounds like you need to spend some time reading and understand the docs...Have you read the install, config and run docs? John

Broming plutonium wrote:

Hi everyone,

Is anyone here running the UNIX version of Apache
2.0.52 (that you compiled yourself) on a Linux
machine? I am, and there are a lot of problems.
Proxying doesn't work; authentication doesn't work;
headers don't work...

Let's talk about proxying first. Whenever I put
"ProxyRequests On" in httpd.conf, Apache wouldn't
start/restart. It said it doesn't understand
ProxyRequests.

As for authentication, whenever I try to start
htpasswd or htdigest, it always says "error while
object file: No such file or directory".

OK about the headers...whenever I add "Header..." to
httpd.conf, Apache wouldn't start. Same story here--it
doesn't understand what "Header" means.

I'm guessing that the reason these features don't work
is because I didn't have enough programs when
compiling the source code. I did notice a lot of no's
when running
./configure. What programs do I need to compile Apache
properly?

Also, how do I uninstall Apache if I've deleted the
source directory?