RE: [users@httpd] access to user directories

Owen,
	Thanks very much for your detailed suggestions.  However, I have
suspected unix permissions to be the problem from the very beginning, and
believe that I have them set correctly, as I mentioned early on.
	Let me try and show them to you, starting with the "home" dir:

drwxr-xr-x    4 root root  4096 May 25 13:20 home

drwxr-xr-x  30 canderan canderan 4096 May 29 00:52 canderan

drwxr-xr-x  3 canderan canderan    4096 May 27 06:04 public_html

drwxrwxr-x  2 canderan canderan 4096 May 25 13:03 crap
-rw-r--r--  1 canderan canderan   49 May 25 09:40 index.html

(the dir "crap" and the file "index.html" are in the public_html dir)

Could there possibly be something with these permissions that is causing the
problem?  Now, let me also say that the files in /var/www/html (the web dir
for the box) can be accessed from the Internet, no problem, and I notice
that the permissions for those dirs and files are relatively the same as I
have for the user dirs and files as shown above.

Having thought that the permissions were set correctly, I have been focusing
on possible problems with the httpd.conf file.  Have tried everything that
anyone has suggested there, with no luck !

Thanks again,
John