Re: [users@httpd] Apache on Linux

> I recommend instead though that you install
something like Fedora Core

What's Fedora Core? I know it's an operating system
but...what does it do?

> Hmmm...  I never tried this but can't one install
> Apache on non-Windows using a pre-packaged - i.e.,
> pre-compiled and linked - executable?

Yes. I tried to find a package that works with Debian
(most packages that work with Debian work with
Xandros), but no matter how hard I searched on Google,
I could only find the source code.

> The only reason your system wants to see
> gcc is because it wants to compile the Apache source
> code using make etc., so if you install using an
> executable you shouldn't have that problem.

Yes, I've installed packagaes (.deb and .rpm) before.
Also, I finally found out how to download gcc. It
works great.

> Interesting that no 2.0 package is availible.

LOL probably you can write the first one.

> Why not start simple, like with Fedora.

What exactly is Fedora? I've never heard of it.

> Try http://packages.debian.org/unstable/web/apache2

> There you will find Apache2.

Oh. Why is apache2 considered "unstable"?