Re: [users@httpd] Apache on Linux

Hmmm...  I never tried this but can't one install
Apache on non-Windows using a pre-packaged - i.e.,
pre-compiled and linked - executable?  This is where
the previous advice on using Gentoo or Fedora Core may
come in handy, because it may be readily available for
those OSs.  The only reason your system wants to see
gcc is because it wants to compile the Apache source
code using make etc., so if you install using an
executable you shouldn't have that problem.

BZAG

Broming plutonium wrote:

Hello everyone. I lost my Windows OS, and installed
Xandros, which is a version of Linux.

I'n not at all familiar with Linux. How do I install
Apache on it? I downloaded the source code, unzipped
it, and did ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache2.
Everything seemed to go normally until this line
appeared:

configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in
$PATH

This means that none of the C compilers gcc, cc, and
cl are in my paths. Where can I get gcc, which is
supposed to be a single file? (I'm used to using gcc
in Windows).

By the way, thanks for the help with w;wget. :)