Re: [users@httpd] Stuck - bug#8431

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 04:45:44PM -0400, Joshua Slive wrote:
> On 5/4/05, Charlton Harrison <charlton@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > The env variables supplied may look slightly different when using
> > > ScriptAlias rather than Action, but you should be able to get all the
> > > same info.
> >
> > Ah, yes.  That's my current problem:
> > None of the ENV variables are making it to the script.
> >
> > What a pain.
> >
> > I really wish the 'virtual' Action option had been ported back to 2.0.
> > This bug was opened in April 2002 and still no one I know is using 2.1 yet.
>
> This thread is getting annoying.

You asked me to raise the issue on the list.  I'm not the one trying to
start a flame-war here...

> Your problem is not at all complicated.  At worst, it requires a small
> change in your script.  Or you can use version 2.1.  Or you can
> backport the patch yourself into 2.0.

I agree it should not be at all complicated, but that doesn't change the
fact that I've spent all day looking into this and I still can't figure
out any eloquent (or even feasible) solution to the problem...

1) What change can I possibly make to the script if environment variables
   are no longer a way to pass in information?  Do I have to create a file
   for the inputs?  What a horrible "solution" to what should be a simple
   problem.  Other than that I cannot think of any 'small' changes I can
   make to the script.

2) Version 2.1 has been in beta for years and there isn't even a port for
   Gentoo out yet.  However this is probably what I'm gonna end up doing.

3) I'll leave patching up to the developers since I really don't want to
   repatch everytime my system automatically updates.  If the developers
   don't think this is "critical enough" to back-port,  I'll just assume
   what I'm trying to do cannot be done on apache 2.0.  Chances are I'll
   have to go to 2.1 anyway...  one day...

> But if you'd prefer to just complain, feel free.  Just don't expect it
> to get you anywere.

I'm sorry if my tone bothered you.  If I knew the answer I would have
subscribed to the apache bugzilla so that I could post solution(s) to
the problem on the bug itself and save other people some time.

It appears that ENV variables cannot currently be passed to scripts using
ScriptAliasMatch,  so I see this as still a limitation.
Perhaps that's the reason this whole thing remains an undocumented mystery?