RE: [users@httpd] Win32 Apache Restart

We have two win32 apache servers and this is the first time I have run into
any problems.  We have been using apache for well over a year now and we
have some transactions that run close to 20 minutes without issue.  A
restart in the middle of an in flight transaction is not acceptable, but I
don't think that is normal behavior. I'm making an assumption that, if
apache really does automatically restart, that it would wait for any in
flight transaction to complete before it did its restart.  I can't image it
working any other way, although I've been wrong before.  I feel that some
other error condition occured to cause the restart, however, there is
nothing in the log to support that assumption.  In my readings I have found
references to issues with Apache and web pages with large amount of data.
The transaction that we had the problem with can, at times, return several
meg of text data to the user, so I'm looking into that as well.

What kind of hardware are you running apache on?  Which OS are you using?
Do you have any other servers/applications running on the same machine?

Lee

             "Thomas Wynne"
             <thomas.wynne@pre
             mierdata.com>                                              To
                                       <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
             05/03/2005 03:21                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: [users@httpd] Win32 Apache
             Please respond to         Restart
             users@xxxxxxxxxxx
                   e.org

I found a comment in a bugzilla thread here:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-bugs/200305.mbox/%3C20030
526145359.8421.qmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx%3E

That is the only reference I have found, though.

Interesting, how is that acceptable though?  Does nobody use Apache on
win32?  I find it hard to believe that there is a substantial win32 user
base out there that accepts Apache randomly restarting throughout the
day.  Has anybody else experienced this?
Thomas