Re: [users@httpd] Can this be Done?

NetSuporte wrote:
First I am new to Apache but not to Linux. I have Apache2 up and running fresh from an install and thatś it.

My question(s)  before I start this endevour is the following possible.

1) Create a home webserver.
2) Host my own website on the home webserver.
3) Have access to my website from the internet via an DSL/ISP connection.

I want to do this without registering a domain.

I am using a router and the computer I want to setup is configured as the DMZ. My router is the DHCP server ( I have five computers in my home) , and my system has an IP address outside the DHCP range so it has a static IP address.

Do I need to setup the webhost server as a secondary DNS server to the ISP DNS server?

I have spent the entire day tryng to figure out how to associate the server "hostname.xxx.xx" with the webserver "www.name.domain" and IP address and how to point to the actual "index.html" for the webpage in /var/www/mywebsite/index.html.

From what I read all Apache2 configuration takes place in "httpd.conf". My configuration does not work properly and I have read so some information I am confused on exactly where I went wrong.

At this point I am getting the following when I try to access "http://www.name.domain/index.html";.

  Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /apache2-default/index.html on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.0.54 (Debian GNU/Linux) PHP/4.3.10-13 Server at localhost Port 80

I could use a little basic guidance so far I just get pointed to the same documentation I already have been reading but cannot seem to extrapolate the correct information. So a cookbook step by step would help, but I now it is a pain and will take someones valued time. I just seem to have too much information to read through and need to sort it out.

thanks for any help.

Philip
netsuporte@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Philip -

In all honesty, the best basic help I've ever gotten was from inside httpd.conf itself. You still have to use your brain a bit, but for the mostpart it's a step-by-step primer. Basic rule of thumb is, if you don't understand it, leave it alone - but change what you need to. If you still want to understand it, take up the directive that you are examining, and reference it to the documentation provided at http://httpd.apache.org.

You could go through all the trouble of setting up a simple DNS server, or you could edit the 'hosts' file on each machine and make them "aware" of the hostname resolution (www.name.domain points to, say, 192.168.0.10). This would be a much simpler solution.

Are you able to hit the server by it's IP, i.e. http://192.168.0.10 or what have you?

HTML emails are a bit difficult to read for those who do not have HTML-enabled email clients. Please do not use HTML email when sending to this list. It's better that you hear it now, from me, in a polite manner, than really making someone mad later on ;)

Thanks
-dant