RE: [users@httpd] OpenLDAP to Active Directory Authentication

Hi,

I experienced the same problem as the one described here, and it turned
out to be the LDAP referrals being sent by Active Directory.

If you bind to cn=Users,dc=ad,dc=company,dc=com, then you are binding to
a container within Active Directory, and everything works fine.

However, if you bind to the root of your domain, i.e. just
dc=ad,dc=company,dc=com, then Active Directory, in addition to the
search results you expected, will also return referrals to the other
directory partitions.

It seems that the referrals that Active Directory returns are causing
the authentication to be rejected.

There are two possible solutions that I know of:

1. Create an organisational unit called something like "All Users" and
make sure all your user accounts are inside this container - that way
you can use ou=all users,dc=ad,dc=company,dc=com as your LDAP path.

2. Disabling referral chasing got the Netscape LDAP SDK to bind to the
root of an Active Directory domain - no idea if the same will be true of
OpenLDAP.

Hope this information helps someone.

Regards,

John