From: James Massara Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 2004 10:45 AM
To: 'users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] OpenLDAP to Active Directory Authentication

The search works fine from the Windows ldp tool. It also works fine from the OpenLDAP ldapsearch tool:

ldapsearch -h ad.company.com -D 'cn=jmassara,ou=users,dc=ad,dc=company,dc=com' -b 'DC=ad,DC=company,DC=com' -x -W "(&(objectClass=user)(!(objectClass=computer)))" sAMAccountName

Details of my setup:

Operating System Gentoo Linux (kernel v2.6.8)
OpenLDAP v2.1.30
Apache HTTPD v2.0.52 using the bundled mod_auth_ldap

My .htaccess file settings are:

AuthName "DI Admin Platform"
AuthType Basic
AuthLDAPURL ldap://ad.company.com/dc=ad,dc=company,dc=com?sAMAccountName?s
ub?(&(objectCl
ass=user)(!(objectClass=computer)))
AuthLDAPBindDN cn=jmassara,ou=users,ou=city,dc=ad,dc=company,dc=com
AuthLDAPBindPassword mypasswd

This using this setup generates the following error:

[Wed Dec 22 12:15:46 2004] [warn] [client 10.201.255.254] [1400968] auth_ldap authenticate: user testuser authentication failed; URI /aptest/
[ldap_search_ext_s() for user failed][Operations error]
ldap_search_ext_s: Operations error (1)
additional info: 00000000: LdapErr: DSID-0C0905FF, comment: In order to perform this operation a successful bind must be completed on the connection., data 0, vece

However, if I change the AuthLDAPURL to this:

AuthLDAPURL ldap://ad.company.com/cn=users,dc=ad,dc=company,dc=com?sAMAcco
untName?sub?(&
(objectClass=user)(!(objectClass=computer)))

It works just fine. This solution doesn't work for me, though, because the MIS team is moving users out of cn=users and into ou=users,ou=city_of_office. And I can't specify multiply AuthLDAPURL variables to search the possible cities where users might reside.

The part I don't understand is why it complains about binding to the ADS _unless_ I specify cn=users in the AuthLDAPURL variable.

Thank you for the continued help, very much appreciated.
James