Re: [users@httpd] apache2 REQUEST_FILENAME

On 4/29/05, ovar <0var@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> All this originated in (from my point of view) counterintuitive behaviour regarding this variable. I probably grasped wrong this statement from documentation ( http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_rewrite.html ):
>
> REQUEST_FILENAME  The full local filesystem path to the file or script matching the request.
>
> While the filesystem location of my script is "/home/www/default/t.php", the content of this variable gained using your suggestion and PHP code:
>
> <?
> echo $_SERVER['REQUEST_FILENAME'];
> ?>
>
> is "/t.php" - as being related to DocumentRoot.
>
> Is the mentioned documentation wrong or the hiccup resides in my english? :-)

The documentation is probably incomplete or wrong.

I wouldn't be surprised if REQUEST_FILENAME did contain the full path,
but only if it was checked inside a <Directory> section or .htaccess
file.  This is because it will depend on what stage of processing
mod_rewrite is running in.

In general, asking apache to tell you the exact physical location that
a request maps to on the filesystem is not easy.  This is because
mapping from URL to the filesystem can happen in so many different
ways.  You are probably better off teaching your script how do it with
your own knowledge of local rules.

Joshua.