Re: [users@httpd] Running multiple daemons

Well, it sounds simple enough. You obviously cannot call both the instances of Apache httpd, so simple change the name. Also, if you're planning on using the apachectl start script, that will only work for one of them, likewise. It shouldn't be a problem to simply symbolically link an httpd startup script to one, and then make a second one called whatever (perhaps httpd-test).

As long as the configurations don't conflict (which seems to be the case, since you've already got it running), you shouldn't have any problems, unless my understanding of the init.d folder is incorrect.

You'll probably have to edit the startup scripts themselves, as well, because if the configurations are identical, then you'll need to watch out for overlap. I suppose you can call the same binary twice with different configs, just watchout for conflicts.

Lingel, Jason wrote:

I'm running apache 2.0.46 on linux and want to run multiple daemons.  One web site will be the production site and the other will be the test site.  I want to run two daemons so I can bring the test site up and down at will without impacting production and make config changes for testing if needed.

I have two different ip addresses and use two different httpd.conf files, one pointing at a different config. file, i.e.:

httpd -f /etc/httpd/conf/httpd-stage.conf

I can get these started well enough but I need to get them to autostart on reboot and the /etc/init.d/httpd script only handles httpd.conf. I created a separate /etc/init.d/httpd-stage script but I'm having to hack at it and import and modify functions from the /etc/init.d/functions script to make things work.
It seems like this is a path that should be well-traveled but I haven't found much in the newsgroups about it.  Has anybody seen this process documented anywhere or have any clues about how to make it work other than hacking at the init scripts?

TIA.

Jason Lingel
jasonl@xxxxxxxx

may contain privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use,
of the original message.