From: Gary [mailto:gary.peake@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 25 April 2005 16:18
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [users@httpd] What editor to edit config files with Windows XP?

I have Windows XP running Apache 2.0.54.

When I edit my hosts, httpd, and other files, I use notepad. When I save
the
files, they become .txt files. Should I be using some other editor to
correctly save the files as other than .txt? I notice some things do not
work correctly and am thinking this may be the issue I am having?

Virtual hosts does not work although I have them set exactly as various
examples in Apache docs and elsewhere on the web. Also I can get to the
apache start page ok using 127.0.0.1 but not using localhosts.

In my hosts file, I have "127.0.0.1 localhost" as the first line.

My virtual hosts are set up as follows:

#
#Use name-based virtual hosting.
#
NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost *:80>
 DocumentRoot C:/www/Apache2/htdocs/dreammaster
 ServerName www.dreammaster.info
 ServerAlias dreammaster.info dreammaster
 ErrorLog logs/dreammaster.log
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:80>
 DocumentRoot C:/www/Apache2/htdocs/owlnet
 ServerName www.owlnet.net
 ServerAlias owlnet.net owlnet
 ErrorLog logs/owlnet.log
</VirtualHost>

Those are the correct paths to root documents, etc. yet virtual hosts
does
not work in that I can not get to either using:

http://127.0.0.1/owlnet
http://127.0.0.1/owlnet.net
http://www.owlnet.net
etc

All tests for php, mysql, perl, etc work at http://127.0.0.1/whatever
test.

My main reason for installing apache is to have a test server to use for
building websites under Dreamweaver. IIS wasn't cutting it for me.

Thanks for any help.

This e-mail message is confidential and for use by the addressee only.  If you are not the intended addressee, please reply to the sender and then delete the message from your computer.

Please note that any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Benenden Healthcare Society Limited.

You should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses.  The Benenden Healthcare Society Limited accepts no liability for any damages caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail or its attachments.

The Benenden Healthcare Society Limited is an incorporated friendly society, registered under the Friendly Societies Act 1992, registered number 480F.  The Society?s contractual business (the provision of tuberculosis benefit) is authorised by the FSA.  The remainder of The Society?s business is undertaken on a discretionary basis.  The Society is subject to FSA requirement for prudential management.

Registered Office Address: The Benenden Healthcare Society Limited,
Holgate Park Drive, York. YO26 4GG.
Tel: 0870 7545 700  Fax: 0870 7545 822
www.benenden.org.uk