[users@httpd] What editor to edit config files with Windows XP?

I have Windows XP running Apache 2.0.54.

When I edit my hosts, httpd, and other files, I use notepad. When I save the
files, they become .txt files. Should I be using some other editor to
correctly save the files as other than .txt? I notice some things do not
work correctly and am thinking this may be the issue I am having?

Virtual hosts does not work although I have them set exactly as various
examples in Apache docs and elsewhere on the web. Also I can get to the
apache start page ok using 127.0.0.1 but not using localhosts.

In my hosts file, I have "127.0.0.1 localhost" as the first line.

My virtual hosts are set up as follows:

#
#Use name-based virtual hosting.
#
NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost *:80>
DocumentRoot C:/www/Apache2/htdocs/dreammaster
ServerName www.dreammaster.info
ServerAlias dreammaster.info dreammaster
ErrorLog logs/dreammaster.log
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:80>
DocumentRoot C:/www/Apache2/htdocs/owlnet
ServerName www.owlnet.net
ServerAlias owlnet.net owlnet
ErrorLog logs/owlnet.log
</VirtualHost>

Those are the correct paths to root documents, etc. yet virtual hosts does
not work in that I can not get to either using:

http://127.0.0.1/owlnet
http://127.0.0.1/owlnet.net
http://www.owlnet.net
etc

All tests for php, mysql, perl, etc work at http://127.0.0.1/whatever test.

My main reason for installing apache is to have a test server to use for
building websites under Dreamweaver. IIS wasn't cutting it for me.

Thanks for any help.