Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.Uninstaller

john cage wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply, Mike.  I tried that in
combination with rebooting, etc.  NOTHING has worked
which is what makes it so frustrating.  You mention
plural (directories).

Yes - but not significantly

Because the docs directory sits under the Apache root I decided I didn't want the extra decoration of "Program Files" so I made c:\apache\apache for 1.3 and c:\apache\apache2 for 2.0

I had different reasons for using 1.3 and 2.0 related to php and python.

In the end I needed 2.0 for a particular project management system I wanted (dotproject). I had installed 2.0 previously incorrectly so it appeared in c:\apache\apache\apache2 which irritated me for obvious reasons. It would not re-install until I cleaned out the whole thing.

It is possible that I also cleaned out the registry but I can't remember.

I do remember that it took some dedicated effort to follow all the configuration tweaks for the versions of mod_php but it finally fell into place.

If deleting directories didn't do it I would be starting again without any config tweaks and prove that it does work in vanilla mode. Document what you do or put your config files under version control so you can see when it stops working. My own practice is to copy each working config file to a new name with a suffix ..._works so I can go back and start from a known working file when I stuff things up.

Good luck

Mike

Is there more than one that I
should be looking for?  The initial install path that
I recall was C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/ -
and I dumped everything below c:\Program Files.  It
installs and shows itself in the system tray just fine
but does not run as a server for some reason.

John

--- Mike Dewhirst <miked@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I too did this with AFAIR same results. I got it
working by deleting the apache directories afer uninstalling. Re-install then worked well.

Mike

John wrote: >> I had installed Apache 2.0.53 on my
XPpro box with PHP & MySQL and had Apache working
flawlessly.  I uninstalled it and since then, every
attempt to reinstall has been met with an Apache that
will not work (even though it appears to be working
fine in the system tray in that it starts, stops,
restarts, etc; just fine and for all intents and
purposes, *appears* to be working.