Re: [users@httpd] Apache/Domain Controller

As some other people have mentioned but not said outright. Microsoft does not recommend any two servers running on the same machine. They are specifically talking about PDC being on its own machine, IIS being on its own machine, MSSQL Server being on its own, Exchange server on its own... etc, etc.

The basic rule of thumb is don't have more than one major service on a single Microsoft server machine. When the OS manufacturer says it, there must be a reason for it, so if you're looking for a reason to justify separating the two services (ie. trying to get a boss to understand), this would probably be the best route to take.

For a more specific reason, you never ever ever ever want a windows PDC to sit on the Internet. If you run a web service (Apache or IIS or WebSphere or whatever), that means it has some contact with the outside world.... aka a direct connection to the Internet (unless it's behind a port forwarding firewall, but that's a different matter and still not a good thing for a PDC). So, to satisfy the need of keeping your PDC isolated to your internal network, you really need to separate the PDC and web server functionality.

I've been a systems/network admin for both Microsoft and *nix networks, and while I prefer *nix, I still know a bit about MS and their guidelines.

Leasure, James wrote:

Hello All!

I know is totally uncool to even ask, but can anyone point me to some
docs, or tell me why you should not run Windows Apache service on a
Window's primary domain controller?

Thanks,
James

--