[users@httpd] no success with suggested config

Hello again.
I guess I have to give up, maybe I am not clear enough in what I am
saying.
Attaching the tested configuration files, only the vhost names have been
changed, nothing else.
Joshua, Vhosts.conf is the actual file that started to work yesterday,
even if you said I should fix it. Vhosts.conf.new, made as you
suggested, doesn't work, and let me explain how:
- accessing www.my_domain.ro, vhost1, vhost2 and vhost6:80 give the
expected results (cause they have the same document root) except that
all of them are ignoring the CustomLog directive
- accessing vhost3, vhost4 and www.vhost5 lead me to the same page as
www.my_domain.ro, and it shouldn't; they also ignore the CustomLog
directive
 - vhost6:8200 (yes, you guessed it, a restricted access LiveJournal)
works properly (it's only valid for the apache 1.3.33 installation,
cause LiveJournal doesn't support apache2)

Again, all vhosts have the same IP address, they are only aliases
(CNAME) in DNS; but for 2 years of using this it didn't cause me any
trouble and I really don't see why would it now.
So Vhosts.conf works now without problem even if I didn't change
anything concerning DirectoryIndex, but Vhosts.conf.new doesn't.

What is kinda disturbing me is that I cannot explain the origin of the
problem I had; the sites are worldwide accessed and everybody had the
same problem, not only me; so I cannot explain this as a browser cache
interaction, because it would involve all browsers in the world. It
remains look at apache configs (which I did and seem to have no
problem). Or maybe DNS configs (which didn't change concerning these
vhosts), but then how would you explain that
http://www.vhost5.my_domain.ro would have worked only if the index page
was index.htm, not .html?! and more than that, how that
www.my_domain.ro/~vhost5 did work correctly no matter if it was
index.html or index.htm?

So I really have no other clue than a memory leak somewhere.
This is really beginning to take me too much time, even more now when
the problem seems to be solved by itself. I might consider to upgrade to
2.0.54.
But you have my word, I checked everything in the configuration files
and found nothing that could affect this behavior.

Florin
################# Vhosts.conf
NameVirtualHost www.my_domain.ro
<VirtualHost www.my_domain.ro>
ServerName www.my_domain.ro
DocumentRoot /var/www/html
</VirtualHost>

NameVirtualHost vhost1.my_domain.ro
<VirtualHost vhost1.my_domain.ro>
ServerName vhost1.my_domain.ro
CustomLog /var/log/httpd/vhost1/access_log combined
DocumentRoot /var/www/html
</VirtualHost>

NameVirtualHost vhost2.my_domain.ro
<VirtualHost vhost2.my_domain.ro>
ServerName vhost2.my_domain.ro
CustomLog /var/log/httpd/vhost2/access_log combined
DocumentRoot /var/www/html
</VirtualHost>

NameVirtualHost vhost3.my_domain.ro
<VirtualHost vhost3.my_domain.ro>
ServerName vhost3.my_domain.ro
CustomLog /var/log/httpd/vhost3/access_log combined
DocumentRoot /var/www/html/vhost3.my_domain.ro/
</VirtualHost>

NameVirtualHost vhost4.my_domain.ro
<VirtualHost vhost4.my_domain.ro>
ServerName vhost4.my_domain.ro
CustomLog /var/log/httpd/vhost4/access_log combined
DocumentRoot /home/vhost4/public_html
</VirtualHost>

NameVirtualHost vhost5.my_domain.ro
<VirtualHost www.vhost5.my_domain.ro>
ServerName www.vhost5.my_domain.ro
CustomLog /var/log/httpd/vhost5/access_log combined
DocumentRoot /home/vhost5/public_html
</VirtualHost>

NameVirtualHost vhost6.my_domain.ro
<IfDefine APACHE2>
<VirtualHost vhost6.my_domain.ro>
ServerName vhost6.my_domain.ro
CustomLog /var/log/httpd/vhost6/access_log combined
DocumentRoot /var/www/html
</VirtualHost>
</IfDefine>
<IfDefine !APACHE2>
<VirtualHost vhost6.my_domain.ro:8200>
ServerName vhost6.my_domain.ro
DocumentRoot /home/lj/htdocs
PerlSetEnv	LJHOME	/home/lj
CustomLog /var/log/httpd/lj/access_log combined
PerlRequire	/home/lj/cgi-bin/modperl.pl
</VirtualHost>
</IfDefine>
################# Vhosts.conf

[...]