Re: [users@httpd] Running Webdav as a different user with virtual hosts.

On 4/20/05, Aaron Axelsen <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have an Apache 2 setup, with virtual hosts.  These virtual hosts are
> operating under suexec, for the most part.  I want to set up webdav on
> one of more of the hosts.  However, the User and Group options are no
> longer valid in within virtual hosts in apache2.
>
> I need the webdav connection to run as a specific user, rather than the
> apache user.  Is this even possible anymore?  Thanks!

The User/Group directives didn't work this way in Apache 1.3 either.
They simply changed the user for suexec-delivered CGI scripts, not for
regular/dav requests.

In general, this is a very difficult problem with no simple solution.
I can offer three solutions:

1. Don't bother with the different users.  WebDAV repositories should
only be accessed by apache anyway.  You shouldn't be interacting with
them using other filesystem tools.  So just use apache access
restrictions and let apache manage them all under its userid.

2. Launch a new apache instance for each virtual host on a different
port using a different User/Group and then have apache reverse-proxy
the requests to the proper port using ProxyPass/ProxyPassReverse

3. Look into the metux mpm.  I haven't tried it myself, but it is
trying to solve similar problems.

For a more detailed discussion of why this is a difficult problem, see:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-users/200311.mbox/%3cPine.WNT.4.58.0311021536350.1528@bronfman504%3e