Re: [users@httpd] index.htm recognized in virtual host, but not index.html

Hello world! :)
After a long time (I didn't have enough time to test/change
configuration things), I come back with my problem.
Joshua, unfortunately I was forced to use different NameVirtualHost/
<Virtualhost> with names instead of IP address. This is because I use
different vhost names on a server with only one IP address and want to
have different log files. Besides, the reverse addressing resolution is
not unique; so I cannot use IP in NameVirtualHost/ <Virtualhost>. OK, I
did try that too after a backup of the original Vhosts.conf (it can
work, except the log files) and I saw one change: when renaming
index.htm to index.html, accessing www.vhost1.my_domain.ro leads me to
the root of www.my_domain.ro. With index.htm I get the correct page.
No, I don't have other Alias, RewriteRule or DirectoryIndex concerning
that directory except what I've already shown you. I've checked
thoroughly, I suppose grep does not lie.

And now one of the weirdest thing: the problem is not reproducible!
Reverting to the old Vhosts.conf, www.vhost1.my_domain.ro started to
work properly!!! Now, why would that happen?! Now I cannot reproduce my
problem anymore even if I didn't changing  the configuration files at
all except replacing Vhosts.conf according to your suggestion and then
putting back the old version.
The only change that happened in the last days was a restart of both DNS
after adding some new computers (I have a master-slave DNS system) but I
don't understand why would this change something. Even more, nothing is
change in the DNS except the serial number and some supplementary names.

So I would rather suppose a memory leak in something involving the name
resolution part of apache 2.0.53. This would explain why Apache would
care about the hostname when it shouldn't. Unfortunately I cannot report
a bug since I can't reproduce it.

Another argument for my supposition: I must remind here that
www.vhost1.my_domain.ro has the root directory inside a user's home
public_html, so www.my_domain.ro/~vhost1 is equivalent; however I had no
problem accessing the page as a user homepage, so a DirectoryIndex
problem would be excluded unless if I would have a DirectoryIndex
statement in Vhosts.conf, which I don't.

Sorry for the long mail, but this is the result of a long time testing.
Thanks for the prompt responses!
Florin