[users@httpd] Reverse Proxying : ProxyPass or RewriteRule [P] ?

Hi all,

we needed to configure our internet Apache webserver as a reverse proxy for other http servers in the intranet. Without having too knowledge of apache directives, we thought that both the ProxyPass+ProxyPassReverse directive and the RewriteRule directive with the proxy flag [P] could go well for our aims. However, in practice, being the syntax of RewriteRule more powerful and concise, we preferred it to the couple of ProxyPass. Unfortunately, trying to manage the reverse proxying of url's coming from a third party Application Server , we noticed that only the ProxyPass directive worked for it. So, I'd like to ask you whether this was a general case or a particular case: that is, what are the conditions where ProxyPass + ProxyPassReverse works and RewriteRule does not ?

To make a practical example in apache 1.3

ProxyPass /pls/orasso http://infra10g.comune.grosseto.it:7777/pls/orasso
ProxyPassReverse /pls/orasso http://infra10g.comune.grosseto.it:7777/pls/orasso

worked, while

RewriteRule ^/pls/orasso(.*)$ http://infra10g.comune.grosseto.it:7777/pls/orasso$1 [P]