Re: [users@httpd] You don't have permission to access /base-1.1/ on this server.

Boyle Owen wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Sargent [mailto:powderkeg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]

yes, but, if I've pointed the server to /var/www/html via httpd.conf then it should be working. I also created a testphp dir and placed the working index.php there and loaded it successfully with localhost/testphp/index.html. I sorta fixed this, by changing this,

<Directory "/usr/local/apache2/htdocs">

to this

<Directory "/var/www/html">

which now gives me access, but, in this format,

Index of /base-1.1

Icon Name <http://localhost/base-1.1/?C=N;O=D> Last modified <http://localhost/base-1.1/?C=M;O=A> Size <http://localhost/base-1.1/?C=S;O=A> Description <http://localhost/base-1.1/?C=D;O=A>
----------
[DIR] Parent Directory <http://localhost/> - [DIR] admin/ <http://localhost/base-1.1/admin/> 04-Apr-2005 05:27 - [ ] base_ag_common.php <http://localhost/base-1.1/base_ag_common.php> 04-Apr-2005 05:26 3.5K
which, I guess, is not too good. What have I done wrong here..?
And, could someone explain the reason why changing what I did allowed access. Cheers.

What did you change? You don't tell us. Post the directives inside the <Directory> container, please.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle
Mark Sargent.

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them to be the views of the sender's company.

Hi All,

I made very few changes to the default settings,

# DocumentRoot: The directory out of which you will serve your
# documents. By default, all requests are taken from this directory, but
# symbolic links and aliases may be used to point to other locations.
#
DocumentRoot "/var/www/html"

#
# Each directory to which Apache has access can be configured with respect
# to which services and features are allowed and/or disabled in that
# directory (and its subdirectories).
#
# First, we configure the "default" to be a very restrictive set of
# features.
#
<Directory />
   Options FollowSymLinks
   AllowOverride None
</Directory>

#
# Note that from this point forward you must specifically allow
# particular features to be enabled - so if something's not working as
# you might expect, make sure that you have specifically enabled it
# below.
#

#
# This should be changed to whatever you set DocumentRoot to.
#
<Directory "/var/www/html">

#
# Possible values for the Options directive are "None", "All",
# or any combination of:
#   Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks SymLinksifOwnerMatch ExecCGI MultiViews
#
# Note that "MultiViews" must be named *explicitly* --- "Options All"
# doesn't give it to you.
#
# The Options directive is both complicated and important.  Please see
# http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html#options
# for more information.
#
   Options Indexes FollowSymLinks

#
# AllowOverride controls what directives may be placed in .htaccess files.
# It can be "All", "None", or any combination of the keywords:
#   Options FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
#
   AllowOverride None

#
#
   Order allow,deny
   Allow from all

</Directory>

#
# UserDir: The name of the directory that is appended onto a user's home
# directory if a ~user request is received.
#
UserDir public_html

#
# Control access to UserDir directories.  The following is an example
# for a site where these directories are restricted to read-only.
#
#<Directory /home/*/public_html>
#    AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit Indexes
#    Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec
#    <Limit GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
#        Order allow,deny
#        Allow from all
#    </Limit>
#    <LimitExcept GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
#        Order deny,allow
#        Deny from all
#    </LimitExcept>
#</Directory>

#
# DirectoryIndex: sets the file that Apache will serve if a directory
# is requested.
#
# The index.html.var file (a type-map) is used to deliver content-
# negotiated documents.  The MultiViews Option can be used for the
# same purpose, but it is much slower.
#
DirectoryIndex index.html index.html.var

Cheers.

Mark Sargent.