[users@httpd] Proxy server set-up problem

I have three servers, an application server, an authentication server
and apache 2 server which should act as reverse proxy.
When a resource on app server is accessed, the app server calls the auth server to authenticate. I am trying to configure a proxy server so that users access the application and authetication urls through the proxy without ever seeing the
urls of the backend servers (app server and auth server).
I used
ProxyPass and
ProxyPassReverse directives as shown below.

ProxyPass     /application1/    http://appserver.com:7777/application1/
ProxyPassReverse /application1/ http://appserver.com:7777/application1/

ProxyPass     /auth/    http://authserver.com:7777/auth/
ProxyPassReverse /auth/    http://authserver.com:7777/auth/

When I access https://proxyserver.com:4444/application1/display.do
I am getting redirected to
http://appserver.com:7777/application1/display.do which in turn is invoking authserver
http://authserver.com:7777/auth/auth.jsp

However, I am gaining access to authserver and appserver directly. ProxyPassReverse do not
seem to work. How do I go about this? Your solution is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Vanga