[users@httpd] Apache processes hanging in CLOSE_WAIT

I'm having an issue with Apache processes sitting around in CLOSE_WAIT
for a while. This is causing resource contention problems with other
processes. I've tried tracking down the problem using tcpdumps and
straces and it appears that half way through receiving a page the
browser just quits sending back ACKs. Looking at strace output it
seems that errno is set to EPIPE after the last write. After that
Apache just polls until it times out. I know that something is broken
between the client and Apache, because this issue only appears on
certain networks, but it seems like Apache should handle this more
gracefully. Shouldn't it just close the connection rather than
continuing to poll?

David Whittington