Re: [users@httpd] Can I keep Java VM running?

Thanks.  I didn't realize Saxon had a servlet.  It looks good since I can change some of my XSLs to output everything to the client.  But there are still some XSLs that need to be used inside a CGI so I can manipulate the output.

How transparent is the Tomcat method?  Can a CGI running in Apache hand off the Saxon process to the servlet and get back the output (in the same CGI) for further processing?

Would the FastCGI method be better since I wouldn't have to have a separate Tomcat process running?

Any hints/links on how to do either would be appreciated.

Chris

P.S.  Thanks for all the other tips.  I am actually thinking about compiling XSLs but we use lots of them and I'm sure a great deal is wasted on Java VM starting up each time.

spage wrote:
   I have a website that runs a Java app called Saxon to execute XSLs
on the server.  Each time Saxon is called, it takes a good while for
the Java VM to start up.  Does anyone know how to have Java VM run in
the background with Apache so every time a user causes Saxon to run it
can do so without a huge startup time?

Java "running in the background" sounds like an Java servlet container
such as Apache Tomcat.  Apache passes Web requests on to the servlet
container where an XSLT Java servlet acts on them.  Saxon has a servlet
implementation,
http://www.saxonica.com/documentation/samples/servlet.html

This involves several pieces and maybe some Java servlet programming
:-(  There's probably a way to use the Apache FastCGI interface to talk
to a persistent external Java VM running Saxon but I don't know if
it'll be any simpler.  There are XSL processor modules for Apache like
mod-xslt2 and AxKit, but I believe neither uses a Java-based XSLT
engine.

XSL transform is always going to be a heavyweight operation.  You can
investigate caching the results of the transform, precompiling the
XSLs, etc.  Perhaps that's why this simple problem seems to evolve into
something more complex like AxKit|Cocoon|XSP|XTP etc. running on a
full-blown app server.

Cheers,
--
=S Page