Re: [users@httpd] Can I keep Java VM running?

>    I have a website that runs a Java app called Saxon to execute XSLs
> on the server.  Each time Saxon is called, it takes a good while for
> the Java VM to start up.  Does anyone know how to have Java VM run in
> the background with Apache so every time a user causes Saxon to run it
> can do so without a huge startup time?

Java "running in the background" sounds like an Java servlet container
such as Apache Tomcat.  Apache passes Web requests on to the servlet
container where an XSLT Java servlet acts on them.  Saxon has a servlet
implementation,
http://www.saxonica.com/documentation/samples/servlet.html

This involves several pieces and maybe some Java servlet programming
:-(  There's probably a way to use the Apache FastCGI interface to talk
to a persistent external Java VM running Saxon but I don't know if
it'll be any simpler.  There are XSL processor modules for Apache like
mod-xslt2 and AxKit, but I believe neither uses a Java-based XSLT
engine.

XSL transform is always going to be a heavyweight operation.  You can
investigate caching the results of the transform, precompiling the
XSLs, etc.  Perhaps that's why this simple problem seems to evolve into
something more complex like AxKit|Cocoon|XSP|XTP etc. running on a
full-blown app server.

Cheers,
--
=S Page