[users@httpd] SUSE 9.2 Apache 2.0.50 Rewrite problem

I may have a subtle Apache(2.0.5) Rewrite error I can't backtrack. I'm not sure I'm getting out of the Apache environment. I'm using the Apache Rewrite inside a VirtualHost> to a Zope.org content management system folder /wwservice declared as / at the same IP but port 8080. It works like most Rewrites directing a URL to another. I'm using a technique documented in http://www.zope.org/Members/lams/HowTo.2004-05-17.0444, "Installing and configuring Zope 2.7 with VHM, apache 2 and rewrite rules".

I'm getting a Forbidden 403, "You don't have permission to access / on this server", message after the Rewrite activity. I look in the Rewrite log and it is rewriting for IP:8080/wwservice. Where is it being sent? LINUX filesystem? Zope? I don't think it is getting to Zope as I can see the Rewrite log entries action but nothing added to Zope's access Z2.log. No action there like it never arrived at IP:8080.

Here's the result from the rewrite log:

"go-ahead with proxy request
proxy:http:/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/wwsrv01.my.net/wwservice/VirtualHostRoot/ [OK]" The important part is proxy:http:/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080/ , xxx.. being a real IP address. Next I get another error...

Here's the interesting part, I get an error for the error report like this:

"Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request." Sounds like Apache? I'm wondering about deny, allow problems but I haven't seen any yet.

I can get to Zope successfully by invoked the service using http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080/wwservice, the standard Zope main page comes up without a problem.

I'm guessing it's something within the Apache setup.  Any ideas?

--
------------ Wolter Works - Always Innovating -------------
- Industry and Commerce Internet Invention & Innovation

mailto:johnswolter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

John Wolter, President
1531 Jones Drive
Ann Arbor, MI 48105-1871 USA
1-734-665-1263

Copyright 2004 John S. Wolter

Neither this information block, the typed name of the sender,
nor anything else in this message is intended to constitute an
electronic signature unless a specific statement to the contrary
is included in this message.