Re: [users@httpd] Server configuration stategy

Hi. Thank you for your reply. I realize after looking at my post that I was not very clear. My apologies. I need the two servers to serve different information. My main domain needs to serve subdomains on the two servers. I am setting up 20 sites per server and each site needs to be accessible using a numbered subdomain. The two servers I am calling apollo and artemis.

So apollo will serve:

be11727372.mydomain.com
be12704055.mydomain.com
be19534514.mydomain.com
be21346418.mydomain.com
be22354422.mydomain.com
be32818127.mydomain.com
be34965519.mydomain.com  etc...

and artemis serve:

ce40514199.mydomain.com
ce26082086.mydomain.com
ce61652311.mydomain.com
ce54040249.mydomain.com
ce18789226.mydomain.com
ce02801628.mydomain.com
ce34463026.mydomain.com  etc...

On apollo is the main site http://www.mydomain.com - so the first thing is getting the one domain to work over the two IP's. I had done a bit of reading and what I interpreted was that to do this, traffic would need to come to one IP (the master) and be passed to a slave.

I found the following reference on the apache site that talks about passing through to a virtual server on another machine:

The following example allows a front-end machine to proxy a virtual host
through to a server running on another machine. In the example, a virtual host
of the same name is configured on a machine at 192.168.111.2 . The
ProxyPreserveHost On directive is used so that the desired hostname is passed
through, in case we are proxying multiple hostnames to a single machine.

<VirtualHost *:*>
ProxyPreserveHost On
ProxyPass / http://192.168.111.2
ProxyPassReverse / http://192.168.111.2/
ServerName hostname.example.com
</VirtualHost>

Besides being accessible by each numbered subdomain, each site must also be accessible using its own domain name. So I need to be a bit clearer on this yet to do something.

The second situation is that I have another major domain (I'll call this mydomain2). I want this domain served from apollo (the main server) but I want mydomain2 to get its content from apollo and artemis both so that the folders under the web root of each contribute to one site.

On each apollo, the web root would look like this (except 20 sites):

www    ---|
		  |---------sites

					|------------ be11727372
					|------------ be12704055
					|------------ be19534514
					|------------ be21346418

and on artemis:

www    ---|
		  |---------sites

					|------------ ce40514199
					|------------ ce26082086
					|------------ ce61652311
					|------------ ce54040249

Each site would look something like this:

sites  ---|
		  |---------be11727372

					|------------ index.html
					|------------ images
					|-----------  files
					|------------ etc ...

So I literally want either the files to appear in the web route of apollo like this:

		  |---------sites

					|------------ be11727372
					|------------ be12704055
					|------------ be19534514
					|------------ be21346418
					|------------ ce40514199
					|------------ ce26082086
					|------------ ce61652311
					|------------ ce54040249

or at least have the paths point the right place so that if I typed http://www.mydomain2.com/sites/ce54040249 , I will get the content of ce54040249 which is on artemis.

So I am looking for any recommendations that will help me accomplish this. Many thanks.

Regards,
David

Not sure I entirely understand this... Do you mean how do you keep
/usr/local/www on server1 synchronised with /usr/local/www on server2?
(ie, two physical disks)

One solution is, don't. Put the data in one place and then have one of
the servers mount the disk remotely (see http://nfs.sourceforge.net/).