RE: [users@httpd] error in installing apache

> (I know I should stay out of this, but I can never resist a good
> etiquette flame-war.)

Ack.

> Actually, there is a quit a specific set of best-practices that are
> commonly accepted on public technical mailing lists.  They include
> posting in plain text, bottom-posting, and properly trimming quotes
> (which neither of you did).  At least some of these are specifically
> discussed on the mailing list's home page:
> http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html

Posting in plaintext is definitely a big one. Publicly calling the person
out is not.

Top Posting is not 'against' any ethics that I have seen. Perhaps in
todays "scrolley" world it is, but in the olden days paging through half
of these posts would have been unbearable. Top posting was preferred more.
Now it is based on judgement. In-line and Bottom Posting may be good if
other material needs constant reference. You are right, trimming the mail
and inline/bottom is generally done though. Again. Not against ethics.
It's based on judgement. In fact, few etiquette rules include mention of
top/bottom posting at all. They merely mention trimming.

Yes. My response was quick and simple. Not trimmed. It was a general
response for a general cause. I'll mind my own business now ;).

> I believe it is perfectly acceptable, and sometimes desirable, to
> point out breaches of this etiquette as part of a reply, as long as it
> is done in a polite and friendly manner.

Etiquette says that all of this stuff should be handled offline, starting
with the original reprimand. I suppose this is the way I should have
approached with my first response. How polite and friendly...

Thanks Josh-