Re: [users@httpd] error in installing apache

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 08:18:03 -0500, PMilanese@xxxxxxxx
<PMilanese@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> A: Top posting? Stop? It's been the standard ethical way of responding for
> as long as I can remember.
>
> B: Yes, most of us do not like html email. Mailing lists generally ask
> what your preference is (plaintext or html). Most email clients can do the
> conversion as well.
>
> Please leave your preferences and other gripes out of the list. Most of us
> don't like that.

> > Stop top-posting.  Many of us would appreciate it if you did not send
> > HTML-formatted emails, as well (I can't stand the blue!).

(I know I should stay out of this, but I can never resist a good
etiquette flame-war.)

Actually, there is a quit a specific set of best-practices that are
commonly accepted on public technical mailing lists.  They include
posting in plain text, bottom-posting, and properly trimming quotes
(which neither of you did).  At least some of these are specifically
discussed on the mailing list's home page:
http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html

I believe it is perfectly acceptable, and sometimes desirable, to
point out breaches of this etiquette as part of a reply, as long as it
is done in a polite and friendly manner.

Joshua.