Re: [users@httpd] reverse proxy configuration.

> On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 11:29:53 +0100 (CET), Vincent Blondel
> <vincent@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> We recently decided to set up a dmz in our infrastructure and I have
>> chosen to use openbsd 3.6 with built in apache 1.3.29 ( compiled and
>> hardened by the OpenBSD team ) with mod_proxy / mod_security and
>> mod_rewrite.
>>
>> So before setting up all this in a real life world, I currently spend my
>> time to let this configuration work in our developement lan.
>>
>> So let's immagine I get next infrastructure :
>>
>>   reverse proxy                     real internal web server
>> rproxy1.example.net    ----->   iweb1.example.net ( example.org )
>>   192.168.1.25:80                      192.168.1.19:80
>>
>> So, as you can see it, we just would like to forward all internet
>> incoming
>> traffic ( port 80 ) from our external web server ( rproxy1.example.net )
>> to our internal web server ( iweb1.example.net ).
>>
>> iweb1.example.net hosts example.net and example.org ( configured by
>> VirtualHost ). iweb1 runs with FreeBSD 4.10 and apache 1.3.33. A last
>> detail, we do not use any firewall in this configuration. This is just
>> make the configuration more easy.
>>
>> So I am trying a configuration but it doesn't work. Please find below
>> the
>> configuration
>
> There are a few problems here:
>
> 1. The OpenBSD version of apache is not really apache anymore.  It is
> a forked version with openbsd-specific changes.  So it will be
> difficult for us to help you on this list, since we know only about
> the real apache and we don't know anything about the openbsd changes.

Normally OpenBSD developers didn't change anything about the syntax
configuration from the Apache Foundation but there are well some security
improvements bring by the OpenBSD Team but I don't think this is important
in our case ???

> 2. "it doesn't work" is a very bad way to ask a question.  We need to
> know exactly what you tried, and exactly what happened, including
> relevant excerpts from the error log, access log, and config files.

You are right so ... What I really tried is

such as I said it my real webserver runs whith FreeBSD and hosts some
domains and for each of them one or more hosts, for example :

www.example.net
ftp.example.net
mail.example.net
mirror.example.org

so to test my configuration I manually added on my workstation in /etc/hosts

192.168.1.25 www.example.net ftp mail
192.168.1.25 mirror.example.org

So I now send all my http packets to the proxy and not directly to the
FreeBSD web server.

... and when I test to browse any website hosted on my real web server (
naturally now through my proxy OpenBSD machine because /etc/hosts ) I am
always redirected to the first VirtualHost I defined on my real waeb
server, so in this case www.example.net

www.example.net     |
ftp.example.net     |______> www.example.net
mail.example.net    |
mirror.example.net  |

This naturally implies next error. When I try to browse
http://mail.example.net/login/ I get an error saying /login/ doesn't exist
because this directory only exists on mail.example.net :(

> 3. Notice I said "relevant excerpts".  Please don't dump your complete
> config file here and except us to sift through it looking for the
> important stuff.

OK

> Sorry if this answer is not what you where looking for, but you need
> to help us out a little if you want us to help you.
>
> Joshua.

I hope this can be helpful for you ... and for me :)
Vincent

Vincent Blondel
homepage : http://jlang.dyndns.org
registered LFS user : 7485 http://www.linuxfromscratch.org