Re: [users@httpd] I've been hacked, I need some help please...

I would be interested in what OS you were running Apache on and what PHP scripts you thought were suspect.
On Tuesday, March 15, 2005, at 09:22  AM, Francisco Hidalgo Solá wrote:

Yes, I'm sure root only files were changed, as my
complete log directory that is gone. Unfortunatelly,
or fortunatelly, this is my home machine hosting some
sites of friends, so I never worried that much for
security, only the normal things. I wasn't doing
remote logging either so I have no idea what happened.
I came to the same conclussion as you and other
people, I must reinstall everything to be sure. But
this post is mainly an attempt to be able to discover
what happened and if this was a security hole in this
specific version of apache or any other thing. So I
know what to do on my new installation.
I will start with Ivan Barrera's suggestions, chrooted
apache, mod_security maybe selinux, but this bothers
me so much, since this is only my home machine and I
don't want to spend that much time in it...
The first thing is remote logging, since I use
syslog-ng in all my machines this should be very easy.
Thank's for all the answers, if you know anything more
about what could have been the attack I would like to
hear about it.

--- Dennis Speekenbrink
<d.g.speekenbrink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

Please keep in mind that I'm not a security expert.

Something about this says that they did not get root
access to the machine.
Are you absolutely sure that "root-only" files we're
changed?

Reasons for my thinking are:
The rogue processes are running under the Apache
user (why not root?)
You can still log in. (usually root-exploits change
the root password
first thing, sadly speaking from my own experience)
The rogue processes are located in /tmp which is
world-writeable.
If access was gained through Apache, and it was
indeed running as an
un-priviledged user, then they would need a second
exploit to raise
their access level to root. By default a security
breach in apache
should only compromise anything that Apache can
touch.

On the other hand:
If you're logged in and the 'who' command shows
absolutely nobody, then
it is obviously at fault.
If non-writeable files we're modified then an Apache
/ php exploit alone
couldn't have done it.
If system logs we're deleted that is almost
certainly an indicator of a
root-exploit.

If you conclude that root-access was indeed gained,
then the machine
must be considered lost.
Do not try to repair it, as you can never be sure
you removed all traces
of the attacker.
If you assume that it was only a apache / php
exploit then repair is
possible but a reinstall might be safer.

Good luck!

Dennis

p.s. if you have an off-site backup or remote
logging try comparing data
to see what has changed.

For additional commands, e-mail:
users-help@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx