Re: [users@httpd] virtual hosts problems... .htaccess rule strangeness.

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 16:46:44 -0600, Robert Nicholson <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If I put RewriteLog in my .htaccess file apache complains that it
> shouldn't there.

RewriteLog is never allowed in .htaccess files, as you can see from
the "Context" line here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_rewrite.html#rewritelog

> Is that a good way of knowing whether or not .htaccess is enabled via
> AllowOverride or not?
>
> ie. if AllowOverride is None will Apache still complain about things
> that aren't approrpriate for .htaccess

No.  If AllowOverride is None, then apache will never even read the
.htaccess files.

> bash$ cat .htaccess
> Options +FollowSymLinks
> RewriteEngine On
> RewriteBase /
> RewriteRule ^/$ /weblog [r=301,nc]

You probably want to replace ^/$ with simply ^$ given that you are
operating in an .htaccess file.

> What I want to know is whether or not AllowOverride allows me to use
> .htaccess or not.

Yes, it does.

> Does the <Directory "/home/httpd/vhosts"> override the top level
> AllowOverride None or not?

Yes, it does.

Joshua.