[users@httpd] virtual hosts problems... .htaccess rule strangeness.

Hi folks,

If I put RewriteLog in my .htaccess file apache complains that it shouldn't there.

Is that a good way of knowing whether or not .htaccess is enabled via AllowOverride or not?

ie. if AllowOverride is None will Apache still complain about things that aren't approrpriate for .htaccess

I'm trying to setup a simple rewrite rule on the top level of my web site thus

bash$ cat .htaccess
Options +FollowSymLinks
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^/$ /weblog [r=301,nc]

I'm governed by the following AllowOverrides

<Directory />
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
</Directory>

    AllowOverride None

<Directory "/home/httpd/vhosts">
        AllowOverride All
        Options SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
        php_admin_flag engine off
</Directory>

<VirtualHost \
                        XX.XX.XX.XX:80 \

        ServerName default
        UseCanonicalName Off
        DocumentRoot /home/httpd/vhosts/default/htdocs
        ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/home/httpd/vhosts/default/cgi-bin/"
        <IfModule mod_ssl.c>
                SSLEngine off
        </IfModule>
        <Directory "/home/httpd/vhosts/default/cgi-bin/">
                AllowOverride None
                Options None
                Order allow,deny
                Allow from all
        </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

This is the rule that defines my host.

What I want to know is whether or not AllowOverride allows me to use .htaccess or not.

Does the <Directory "/home/httpd/vhosts"> override the top level AllowOverride None or not?

<VirtualHost XX.XX.XX.XX:80>
        ServerName   elastica.com:80
        ServerAlias  www.elastica.com
        UseCanonicalName Off
        SuexecUserGroup         elastica psacln
        ServerAdmin  "robert@xxxxxxxxxxxx"
        DocumentRoot /home/httpd/vhosts/elastica.com/httpdocs
CustomLog /home/httpd/vhosts/elastica.com/statistics/logs/access_log combined ErrorLog /home/httpd/vhosts/elastica.com/statistics/logs/error_log
<IfModule mod_userdir.c>
        UserDir /home/httpd/vhosts/elastica.com/web_users
</IfModule>
        ScriptAlias  /cgi-bin/ /home/httpd/vhosts/elastica.com/cgi-bin/
        <IfModule mod_ssl.c>
                SSLEngine off
        </IfModule>
        <Directory /home/httpd/vhosts/elastica.com/httpdocs>
        <IfModule sapi_apache2.c>
                php_admin_flag engine off
        </IfModule>
                Options -Includes +ExecCGI