RE: [users@httpd] Warning: Documentroot doesn't exist

Why do you find this strange? Do you know what VirtualDocumentRoot does?
It is not a random alternative to DocumentRoot, it has a specific
purpose which is to allow a "variable" docroot based on the ServerName.
It is used in the context of mass virtual-hosting, not whenever you
happen to use any <VirtualHost> container (the poster who suggested that
was mistaken).

> I did notice that the DocumentRoot in the 'Main server configuration'
> section is /var/www/html.  I messed around with that to see
> if I could
> get the /home/httpd/webdev/html directory working.  Unfortunately I
> couldn't therefore I changed the DocumentRoot to /var/www/webdev/html
> and everything is working fine.

There is obviously something funny with your setup that we are not
privvy to. If you're saying that /home/httpd/webdev/html and
/var/www/webdev/html are the same directory, then;

- one is a symbolic link of the other, or
- you have mounted the same disk-volume in two places, or
- some other clever thing

In any case, /home/httpd/webdev/html no longer sounds like a plain
directory under "/" so it is hardly suprising you get funny results.

Of course, all this would be revealed immediately if you were to do:

	cd /
	ls -d
	cd /home
	ls -d
	cd /home/html
	ls -d
	cd /home/html/webdev
	ls -d

As requested previously...

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> Below is my VH section.
>
> <VirtualHost 198.214.140.243:80>
>          ServerAdmin webmaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>          DocumentRoot /var/www/webdev/html
>          ServerName webdev.sedl.org
>          DirectoryIndex index.php index.htm index.html index.cgi
>          ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/var/www/webdev/cgi-bin/"
>          ErrorLog logs/error_log
>          CustomLog logs/access_log combined
> </VirtualHost>
>
> For some reason Apache doesn't complain about this and I
> don't get teh
> 403 Forbidden error message.
>
> jay

views of the sender's company.