Re: [users@httpd] home computer as a server

alun phillips writes:

> I am trying to set up my home computer so that my friends and family can
> view photos of my kids that I have put together in a website on my computer.
> I have installed Apache2, and http://localhost/ successfully brings up the
> apache web server welcome page, as does http://XXX.XXX.XX.XXX (my IP
> address). I have worked out how to replace this page with a page of my
> choice, but I am unable to get anyone else access to the page over the
> internet (which I assume is possible). I have a laptop connected to my
> computer on a home network, and that can reach the page via my IP, but no
> one else can. I have disabled my Windows Firewall in an attempt to get it to
> work, but with no luck. I am sure it is something very simple, but I can't
> figure it out.

Your ISP may be blocking the traffic.

Keep in mind that it's extremely dangerous to run your desktop home
computer as a server.  Once you allow the outside world to contact your
machine, it becomes very vulnerable unless you've gone to great lengths
to secure it against attack.  Disabling the firewall is _not_ a good
idea.

You can run your own server at home, but it should be on a completely
separate machine, dedicated to that purpose, with an independent
firewall carefully configured to allow incoming traffic only to the
server, and not to any other machine.

--
Anthony