Re: [users@httpd] home computer as a server

I'll take a stab at this and see if there is someone more knowledgeble
than I by the other replies seen.

I think the problem is... a typical home DSL/Cable modem setup
doesn't allow (I don't think) the forwarding of inbound traffic
of port 80 (normally www port) from the DSL/Cable Modem to the
destination machine.  Which keeps everybody in the outside world
(even if they knew your current IP address) from viewing your
web pages.

If that's the case, then the remedy would be to go to the local
store and get a DSL/Cable router that'll you'll use to replace
the standard DSL/Cable modem that the phone or cable company has
provided you.  With a DSL/Cable router (technically, you can also
take an old PC that has three network cards and put IP Cop on it
and do the same thing) you'll be able to have a firewall capabilities
that will keep intruders out, and you'll be able to configure the
router part of the device to forward port #80 traffic to a specific
machine on your home network.

Another possibility is that your provider might not allow inbound
traffic to your part of the internet because then that would signal
to them you are running a server.  Which would normally mean more
$$$ for them to assign you a static IP and higher bandwidth that
a server really needs.  They'd rather have you as a business (or
small office customer) because that means more $$$ for them instead
of the lowly domestic residential rates.

That's my try... anybody else... or am I all wet?

Tyler Nally

alun phillips wrote:
Hi - I'm a newbie here, so loads of apologies before I make a complete fool
of myself.

Apache 2.0
Windows XP Pro
Cable internet access - always on

I am trying to set up my home computer so that my friends and family can
view photos of my kids that I have put together in a website on my computer.
I have installed Apache2, and http://localhost/ successfully brings up the
apache web server welcome page, as does http://XXX.XXX.XX.XXX (my IP
address). I have worked out how to replace this page with a page of my
choice, but I am unable to get anyone else access to the page over the
internet (which I assume is possible). I have a laptop connected to my
computer on a home network, and that can reach the page via my IP, but no
one else can. I have disabled my Windows Firewall in an attempt to get it to
work, but with no luck. I am sure it is something very simple, but I can't
figure it out.

If anyone has some advice, or can point me to some step by step instructions
somewhere on the internet, that would be great.

Cheers,
Alun